Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me!!!

What a great weekend. It helps that most of the time my birthday falls out on Labor Day Weekend, so for most of my adult life it has turned into a three day festival. This weekend was no exception.

There was one little glitch, my back went out on Friday, so I had to cancel plans to celebrate my dear friend Flame's 40th birthday, as I was flat on my back marinating in Vicadin and Flexeril. This was NOT helped by my chiropractor's long standing practice of taking the week before Labor Day as a vacation week. To make matters worse, this all happened too late for me to cancel my two appointments of Friday, so I worked through the pain. Not a really good idea. I paid for it on Saturday.

But Sunday...well...with enough pain-killers in me to withstand the journey, we drove down to Catskill, where Tina and Steve were gracious enough to host a little party for me.

First, I got to see Tina's new harp:


And to greet Nuala (Tina's parents' dog).

Watch Steve set up the new Flat Screen TV:



Then we went downstairs to hang out on the lawn, under a tree. Tina and Steve live in this awesome victorian mansion that has been carved up into apartments.


That's only part of the building. I love that building. One of my lifelong dreams is to own an old Victorian and restore it. One of my friends, Dave, is already in the process of doing it. Say hi to Dave:

Dave was at the party.

So was Diane:

And her incredibly sexy, knitting husband, Eric:


Personally, I think the only thing sexier than a man who knits, is a man who spins. The only thing sexier than that, would be a man who spins...while wearing a kilt. Oh...the palpitations.

Tina took pictures too, so I'm sure they'll hit her blog at some point in the near future.

Of course, when knitters and spinners get together to celebrate, there's loot:


There are books on spinning, and knitting lace and knitting shawls...and lace shawls. A wonderful writer's notebook from Katie, chocolate and fiber. My husband outdid himself by cleaning out my Knitpicks wish-list. Does it get better than that? Especially since he bought me my Kromski Sonata and that was supposed to be my present for the year. I think I'll keep him.

There was cake:


Then, as if that wasn't enough, Monday we went to one of our favorite farm stands down in Valatie, Golden Harvest Farms.


It's bittersweet for me to see farm stands in early September. On one hand, I love the abundance represented:





But on the other hand, the end of Summer is fast approaching. Autumn is so lovely but so short here, and then we dig in for the Long Dark Winter.

Oh, and did I mention that we hit a destash sale and more fiber arrived while I was at Wiawaka?



I am about to get ready to go to the chiropractor (thank heavens), so I will leave you with some shots of late summer abundance:















Until next time.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that fiber friends are great party guests. We bring the best presents and speak a secret language. Poor Dave, but at least he asked good questions. :)

I love that we have the window with the railing, though I think I'd also love it if we had the downstairs unit with the bay window.

A very happy birthday to you! Now your husband needs to figure out what to do for your 40th. I recommend a picnic in a park, along with lots of good friends and good food.

Harriet said...

My 40th??? Oh! Bless you! I'll take it. LOL

Kim said...

Happy Birthday! Seems like you had a grand time depsite the back pain. Excellent photos too.

Jessica said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! Looks like a fantastic time was had by all. Good luck with the back. I'm still suffering a month after I messed mine up. *sigh* Hope you have better luck!

ComputerMechanic said...

As always, I love LOTS