Thursday, January 1, 2009

Playing Catch Up

As noted in my last post I've been busy, busy, busy.

A few weeks before the holidays, Tim and I took a ride to Kinderhook to pay a visit to Year Round Yarns. Where I purchased some Plymouth Suri Alpaca

On the way back we stopped at Wholly Cow Restaurant for dinner and had the best BBQ I've had north of the Mason-Dixon Line.





And to keep this fiber related, I did knit at the table.



The Suri Alpaca was purchased to make a hat for my friend Judith. The hat is not yet finished.


But that's okay, because our plans to see Judith on New Year's had to be moved because she was having some stuff go on with her apartment. We'll catch up later and the hat will be given. Since I have extra yarn, maybe a pair of mittens? Fingerless gloves?

On the subject of fingerless mitts, I made two pair. A goth version of Fetching


And another pair of my own design that remind of a Chanel suit I had a long time ago (in another life)


They are for two young friends, Maggie and Janet.

In the meanwhile an 11 year old girl in foster care wanted a pair of mittens, a hat and a scarf. Her favorite color is purple. We figured not many kids in foster care get hand knits, so....


We hope she had a very happy Christmas and stays warm throughout the winter.

At some point we went on a Yule Tree expedition, which included a Hay Ride


A magical grove


Freezing (if not for our wooly hand-knits)


And warming ourselves with hot cocoa around a bonfire (while waiting for the snow and ice to melt off our tree)


And the day ended with a beautiful sunset


The following week, I received email from my niece,


who is studying in Paris. At a museum, she saw some wool

And, naturally, thought about her aunt and took pictures, which she sent to me.

The week after that, was Tina's (formerly Pheonixfiberworks and now Rows Red) annual Yule and Yarn party. It was held at the Muddy Cup in Hudson (where it was hastily moved to after the discovery that The Muddy Cup in Catskill was closed for renovations), where a splendid time was had by all.





Tina is wearing the cowl that was my gift to her:


Since then, I got a chance to hang our with both my nephews and my niece who isn't in Paris


As well as my sister and brother and their spouses.

I've had a chance to spin.

416 yards of laceweight icelandic wool (singles)




And 4 oz of Carolyn's handpainted merino in the Jammy colorway.




And, I've finished a pair of socks for myself. These are Tina's "Baby Fern" socks, made with Pace Step yarn.


And, finally, for those of you who don't know why I'm called the Cat Whisperer, I leave you with this:










7 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks like a fun but busy holiday season! Happy New Year!

CrazyFiberLady said...

Wow, that was some catch up! Happy New Year.

Harriet said...

Happy New Year back to everyone. I'm looking forward to a quieter January.

ComputerMechanic said...

Oh you forgot to tell about your gift.

http://rstormcrow.googlepages.com/hscarf.jpg

Anonymous said...

What a great update! And man was your niece carved right outta your ass.

I'm glad you could both make it to the Yule & Yarn party, as well as New Years. Both were a lot of fun and it's always nice to see you guys.

Anonymous said...

I lied you can see my boob, hands, knee, and knitting.
Not just an elbow.

See Kay said...

Happy New Year! Your holiday celebrations look lovely. And I agree with Tina about your niece, she looks so like you!

Your laceweight is killing me! My spinning goal for this year is to make some laceweight.