Monday, June 30, 2008

Yikes...How Did It Get So Late So Soon?

I started writing this on Thursday, and it's gotten to be Saturday? Yikes!! First I have to catch you all up on LAST weekend. And what a weekend! When weekends are like this, it reminds me why I love my life so much. Friday afternoon I met Tina at BeauKnits, my Local Yarn Store (LYS) , which was participating in the town of Cohoes Farm to City Fest. We set up our wheels outside on the sidewalk and spun, and spun, and spun to our heart's content.

It was a blast. I'm continually surprised by the people who ask "what are you doing?" To me, it's so obvious. Even before I knew how to spin, it was pretty obvious. The other questionwas "What are you making?" Um...yarn?

I know this sounds snarky, and I really don't mean it that way. The most fun was, of course, the little kids who are mesmerized by the wheel. I love to see the fascination as they try to figure out how it works.

My favorite question of the day was a little one, maybe 4 or 5 years old, who asked, "why do you have to do this?" My answer was, "Because I want to." But in retrospect, maybe he was picking up something else. Do I have to spin? Yeah, in a way I do. I'm drawn to the spinning wheel like a moth is to flame. I love doing it so much.

A group of us are going camping in a few weeks. Tim was musing, on our private mailing list, about things to pack. He included my spinning wheel. No one else understood why it was so important to me to be able to take my wheel camping. He, however, did....and that's what makes him special. I lurves him.

Saturday was Hudson River Knit and Spin. Oh....My....God!!!! It was so much fun. We got there around 12:30, and it was HOT AND HUMID. My least favorite weather in the world. But...we got settled in around the tree in the shade, and the breeze was coming off the river, and it really wasn't too bad. But really, the humidity is horrid for spinning. The merino I was spinning kept wanting to felt in my hot, sweaty, palm. Ewwwwww.

If y'all remember Tim was learning to spin last week. He brought Phaedre along, and planned to spin on her. Unfortunately, we grabbed the wrong bag of fiber, and instead of the Corriedale/Romney cross (which is so easy to spin), he ended up with Merino, which just wouldn't cooperate for him at all. I felt bad. For two reasons. 1. He was having such a hard time. Merino isn't easy to spin in good weather, and this wasn't. 2. He was going through a startling amount of Merino (but he's so good to me, I don't feel too bad...he's worth it).

If you want some other write-ups go here, here, here, and here.

Here are pictures:
The only thing sexier than a man who knits:


Is a man who spins (of course, the one spinning is mine, so I may be biased).


'Chelle and Carolyn were there:


Then we went to my niece's High School graduation party!!! Go Rachel!!!! At which I gave her a pair of Fetching in her favorite color, Pink. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd. She's modeling them here. (Note the perfect nails)



And the lovely, sherberty colored market bag is off the needles, and beta-tested. The farmer's market this morning was lovely. I adore that fresh produce is coming in from the local farms. Here is some lovely Kale:



I spent a good chunk of today, after the market, and shopping at the dreaded Wal-mart, reading Nevada Barr's newest book, Winter Study. Ms. Barr is in top form. So often as series drag on, the author loses some of her spark and we keep reading because we're invested in the world. Not so this time. Winter Study is as fresh and wonderful as Track of the Cat, the first Anna Pigeon book. If you like a good mystery, and love the great outdoors, this series is wonderful. I can't say enough good things about it.

Not so the book on CD that played in my CD player for last week's commute. Austenland might have been a better read than it was a listen. I wanted to love it, just as I love all of Jane Austen's books, but maybe it was because the narrator kept switching between british and american accents, or maybe the story was too predictable (being almost a direct take-off of Pride and Prejudice without Helen Fielding's sense of humor), but I listened all the way to the end becuause I didn't have anything else to listen to.

Yesterday was the first bike ride of the season...a short toodle around the neighborhood as muscles that haven't been on a bike in at least a year got shocked in remembering that they exist. Of course this was preceded by the 2 hour search for the patch kit and the patching of my front tire, and followed by a good washing down and oiling of all moving parts as we discovered that a year of disuse is not kind to bicycles.

I always approach my bike with trepidation at the beginning of the season. It's as if a part of me is sure I have forgotten how to ride....and then within a half block, I'm remembering why I love it. The first time I go down a hill...and tuck to cut the wind resistance, and feel the wind in my face, I remember.

So, prepare for more bike posts.

On the other hand, the rewrite of Second Chances is almost done. I know I've been saying that for a month...but really, I'm close. Tina...be prepared for the rest of the book in the next week or so. I'd like to get it done before we go camping on July 16th.


2 comments:

ComputerMechanic said...

The sad part is that I have not had a chance to sit at the wheel since that outing.. I know practice.. practice .....

Jessica said...

Love the fetchings and the market bag! :)